Hello! My name is Daniel Sentance. A Professional Member of the UK’s Society for Editors and Proofreaders, I’ve been providing professional copy-editing and English language editing services to academic publishers, journals and authors in the United Kingdom and the United States since 2010.
Simply, I love working with authors (and their publishers) to help them communicate their research and ideas as effectively and engagingly as possible.
I am a critical (in the friendly sense), experienced pair of eyes who will help you refine your message before it is published, ensuring that your writing is as clear, concise, consistent and accurate as possible.
Please feel free to download a copy of my résumé. But a snapshot of my background and experience:
- I can copy-edit manuscripts that contain Spanish or Arabic – I have an MA in Spanish and Arabic from the University of Edinburgh.
- I am able to copy-edit manuscripts that treat legal matters – I am a qualified solicitor (England & Wales, non-practising).
- I can copy-edit manuscripts written by non-native English speakers, in particular Arabic speakers – I have developed ESL materials and courses for a private university in Iraqi Kurdistan, and have lived and worked in Egypt, Oman, Syria and Lebanon.
- I have copy-edited according to a number of US and UK house styles, including those of the university presses of Cambridge, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard and Indiana, the Suffolk Records Society and Taylor & Francis.
- I can work in British English and American English.
- I am currently retained as a copy-editor or language editor for Die Welt des Islams, Arab Law Quarterly and the Encyclopedia of Women & Islamic Culture Online.
*A note on the name, Penguinalia Editorial Services: I have nothing to do with Penguin Books; I just like penguins.